26 February 2009

Snowy Commute Rant

I know I wrote that post earlier this winter about how Seattle is justified in closing down when it snows, but I have to do a partial retraction after enduring a less than enjoyable commute. A mere 3 inches of snow at barely freezing temperatures can stop large groups of people in their tracks? Really?!

These are the specific annoyances that put this scowl on my face:
  • SUVs that block my view of the entire road (I realize this isn't restricted just to snowy days, but it was more apparent than usual today with my unforgiving attitude.)
  • Snow left on the top, hood, or trunk of the vehicle...which inevitably blows into and obstructs my view
  • Drivers who don't bother to clear their side or rear windows - why would they need to see the rest of the road?
  • Drivers who automatically drive 15 mph at the sight of snow, even though the roads are perfectly clear save for a bit of water
  • Drivers who put chains on their tires at the sight of a single snow flake - those chains end up in my lane and force me to decide between swerving and ruining a tire or two
  • Unmetered entrance ramps to the freeway which result in complete gridlock
  • Professors who cancel class due to weather only after their entire class has traveled to school for the class
Thanks for letting me vent. I'll go be productive now. :-)

No comments: