29 July 2009

We're approaching the melting point.

Yes, we broke the record today. Seatac Airport recorded 103F (39C). I'm pretty certain it was warmer than that here in Kirkland since the noon news reported 103F (39C) in Kirkland at that time, and temperatures tend to peak at about 5pm here. The news has just reported a high of 107F (nearly 42C) in Redmond, the next town over. Don't worry...they're predicting some relief tomorrow: 99F (37C). :-)

How are we staying cool? Yesterday, I found my way onto an air conditioned bus (only 30% of Metro buses have a/c) for a ride to Seattle and back. I also found my way to our community's pool. By the end of the day, I'd started and finished my first pleasure reading of the summer: Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen. George and I spent last night in a movie theatre with lots of kiddos watching Up and then enjoyed some nice cold ice cream. George has been staying cool during the day at work. Today, I joined him for the afternoon because temperatures in our house were hovering just below 100F (nearly 38C).

Giant sigh. We are so thankful that our wedding isn't this weekend!

On a side note, I had passport photos taken today...partly because I need them taken and partly so that I'll remember this day in the dead of winter. Passport photos are never glamorous, so I might as well be hot and sweaty. :-)

No comments: