27 December 2010

White Christmas

A belated merry Christmas to our readers who celebrate the holiday! We are just back from spending a low key Christmas in Ohio with my family. [Photos and a video here.]

I was there for a fortnight; I headed to Ohio a few days after returning from London to help my mom and David after she had a medical procedure. I'm happy to report that she is well on her way to recovery, and their home is still intact even after having me in the kitchen for the last couple of weeks.

Just after I arrived, a huge storm blew through, bringing over 2 feet of snow (more than 2/3 meter), wind, and bitter temperatures. That pretty well guaranteed a white Christmas as temperatures remained well below freezing during my entire visit, and the snow was topped up with an inch or two of fresh snow every few days. I must admit that, while I don't miss living in it, seeing a blanket of white is truly beautiful.

George joined me for the few days prior to Christmas through today, and we were able to spend most of that time with family members. It was nice to see my mom, David, many of my cousins, my uncle, aunts, grandparents, brother, sister-in-law, niece, and nephew. The oldest and youngest members of the family have changed the most, and that is always exciting to watch.

George, Amanda, Janie, David, Beathan, Justin, Yvonne, Laila

We thoroughly enjoyed our time with the few friends with whom we were able to spend time. As seems to be the trend, unfortunately, we didn't get to see nearly as many of my high school and college friends as I had hoped.

Although we really enjoyed our time with everyone, it is nice to be back in our home. This was my first trip in which I got homesick for Seattle. Moreover, I realized George and I truly are our own new family and that our own traditions in Seattle have become "home" and "Christmas" to me. I look forward to what future Christmases may bring...

No comments: