02 July 2008

Everyday Life in Anchorage

This trip is definitely not all fun and hiking. After all, I did come here for a class and to work.

My days start with 4 to 5 hours of work. Each day is a bit different from the one before it. Often, I'm met at the door with new assignments. I'm getting used to it, and my boss is getting used to letting me have some coffee before he asks too much of me. At the halfway point, I am quite pleased with my work experience. My boss gives me a fair amount of responsibility. I do some research projects, plenty of drafting, and a bit of client contact. So far, I think my favorite project is negotiating a commercial lease on behalf of a tenant. Combing through a 20+ page lease clause by clause really appeals to my love of details. I've also enjoyed drafting a few motions, but I'm not fully convinced that litigation is my cup of tea.

In the evenings, we have class for two hours, four nights a week. During June, we studied Alaskan Native law. It was surprisingly interesting. I'll write a post at some point on the Alaskan Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA). Unlike reservations in the lower 48, this legislation established native corporations for Alaskan natives. Has anyone heard of it? Starting next week, we'll be studying environmental law. Bring on the polar bear!

I get from place to place with the help of my feet, bike, and bus. The bus system is an experience all its own. Really. Although I'm getting used to it, I certainly have a greater appreciation for the Seattle bus system. Here in Anchorage, by and large, the only people who ride the bus are those who absolutely cannot afford even the most basic of cars. Not only is there stigma surrounding bus ridership, but also the schedule is not exactly convenient. Most buses only run every half hour (peak time) and every hour (evenings and weekends) for limited hours, and they cost $1.75 per ride with no transfers. I have seen a shocking trend of poverty and alcoholism in my rides as many of the same people show up on bus after bus. This is really just the tip of the iceberg; most all of us (especially the women) have stories from the bus.

Anchorage has many drawbacks, but it's growing on me with the appearance of moose in my daily life and 4 weeks of adaptation. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to seeing George, some of my family, and a few friends this weekend during a brief trip to southern Ohio and Kentucky.

No comments: