10 July 2008

Ohio and Kentucky

George and I spent the holiday weekend (Independence Day, for our international readers) together in Ohio and Kentucky. It was great to meet up a little more than halfway through my time in Alaska, and I really enjoyed a visit to true summer and darkness.

The first stop was Columbus, Ohio, for a visit with my family. We ate lots of yummy homemade food, played a few games, and generally enjoyed the company. Mason (my oldest cousin) and Justin (my brother) introduced George to basketball. (For the record, Justin and I beat Mason and George in a little 2-on-2.) And, I know I say this after every trip "home," but I truly can't believe how quickly my niece and nephew are growing up! Laila is a very mature soon-to-be first grader while Beathan is a full-fledged high-schooler complete with girlfriend and busy sports schedule. Wow!!

To top off the great visit, my friend from high school, Miranda, and her boyfriend, Ken, stopped by for a few hours. Miranda and I were inseparable during our last years of high school, so it was refreshing to catch up on the many years that have passed while we've been busy living our lives thousands of miles apart.

The next day, George and I headed to Louisville to celebrate Sam and Brian's wedding. (They are friends we met in Seattle, but they chose to hold their wedding in Brian's adopted hometown of Louisville, Kentucky.) The festivities started with rehearsal dinner on Saturday night at the Jefferson Club. The view of the surrounding city was superb! We enjoyed meeting their friends from near and far and experiencing southern hospitality. Brian's parents threw quite the party! Oh, and if you find yourself near Louisville, stop for some (Kentucky) Derby pie. This local favorite is pecan pie's chocolate chip-filled cousin.

The wedding, on Sunday afternoon, was also beautiful. Sam and Brian are a great couple, and George and I were so happy to have been part of their special day! As a bonus, we even got to spend some time with the bride and groom throughout the reception and after-party.



All-in-all, we had a very enjoyable weekend...and sadly parted ways on Monday to head back to the grind.

No comments: