31 December 2009

Resolutions

New year resolutions are a contentious topic, at least if you live with my husband, who happens to think they're rubbish. I don't make resolutions, per se, but I do try to pick up a good habit or two at the start of each new year. In college, I decided to stop machine-drying my undergarments and sweaters. All these years later, I'm still on board and getting a longer life out of my delicates. I've committed and failed many times to floss daily. For 2009, my cousin, Shannon, and I agreed to be in contact at least once a month. We emailed for the first half of the year, called for the second half of the year, and will hopefully keep up our regular contact for many years to come. I was touched by another cousin's resolution in 2009 when he committed to write a letter each month to someone who means a lot to him; the letter he sent me was one of the most special pieces of mail I've received.

This year, I'm going to commit to be a better granddaughter to all of our living grandparents. I'm going to write to each of them at least once a month. Check back with me at the end of 2010 to see whether I was successful.

In the mean time, I look forward to seeing what is in store for George, me, and our families and friends in 2010. Just think, last year at this time, we had no idea that 2009 would be the year our marriage would officially begin, the year when we would be blessed with visits from so many friends and family members, the year when George would enter management, and the year when I would confirm my legal passion. Beat that, 2010!

1 comment:

Patricia said...

I really like the idea of writing letters to your special people. Friends on email I keep in touch with but the old aunties who have never progressed to computers are left out, except for once a year at Christmas.

Great idea!