19 July 2013

Pinned It & Did It: Balloon Wreath

This was one of those projects where I probably wouldn't have done it if I'd known exactly what was involved. However, it's been a big hit and will be reused for future celebrations and birthday.

First, I saw this cute picture on a pin.

Pin. Original source unknown.

I found several similar projects on Pinterest to give me some guidance. Then, I went to town buying my supplies. In the end, I used 200 floral pins, 400 balloons (10- and 12-inch latex), one foam wreath, a stock craft store number (sanded and painted white), and a bit of white ribbon.

I didn't take photos of the steps, but here's how it went down:
   1. Marked the foam wreath form into seven sections so that each color would be (mostly) evenly represented.
   2. Placed two balloons of the same color (one "facing" each way) on a u-shaped floral pin and then pushed the pin into the wreath form. I didn't pierce the balloons, so that I could (theoretically) reuse them if I wanted to.
   3. Repeated step two until I was getting close to the line. At that point, I did roughly a half dozen pins with one balloon of each color (current color and next color).
   4. Repeated step two with the next color until it was time to repeat step three.
   5. Once the wreath was very nearly full of balloons, I attached the number (previously drilled, sanded, painted, and attached with a ribbon) with a ribbon.
   6. Then I attached the hanging ribbon.
   7. To finish it off, I added a few more of the first and last color balloons until it looked continuous and full.

Ta - da!


Photo Credit: Evantide Photography




What are you making out of balloons these days?

No comments: