14 November 2008

Jewelry Holder

My most recent craft project was the creation of a jewelry holder from drawer knobs. The idea originally came from a magazine clipping my mom passed along to me. At the time, I made one as a trial, but this one is much more sturdy.

The frame originally held a collage of photos before I broke the glass moving it from California to Washington. I stripped the wood to the raw material, stained it, and applied a coat or two of polyurethane. For the main material, George cut a piece of plywood and drilled holes. He also cut down the knobs so that they wouldn't protrude from the back. Then, I covered the plywood with silk and used hot glue and rubber cement to secure the silk in the back. Finally, I screwed the knobs into the board and hung some jewelry. Tracy's idea of using a handle as a cup worked well. Success!

More on my crafty genes and Christmas card-making project in future posts.

No comments: