30 November 2008

Productive Weekend...sort of

In law school tradition, Thanksgiving weekend is the time to catch up on outlines, reading, or whatever else you have been putting off for the previous 12 weeks. In American tradition, Thanksgiving weekend is a time to start thinking about Christmas. I intended to embrace the former and ended up with the latter. Nonetheless, we have been pretty productive.

George has worked diligently all weekend to install 4 recessed lights in my craft room. When he finishes, it'll be the best lit room in the house since all the other bedrooms are lit by a single wall sconce. As soon as exams finish, I'll give the room a little TLC with plaster repairs where needed, fresh light blue paint on the walls, fresh white ceiling paint, a new closet organizer, some new curtains, and, of course, some shelves to keep all of my craft goodies organized. This is the last bedroom to be "finished," so I am pretty anxious to get my hands on it and really anxious to enjoy my completed room.

We have also tended to Christmas preparations this weekend. For whatever reason, we have been ahead of the gift-buying game this year, and our New Zealand-bound gifts have already been purchased, wrapped, and sent. After my trip to the shops today, we have just one gift left to buy. I'm also making all of our Christmas cards this year (or at least that's the goal). I started several weeks ago, and, after a few solid blocks of time this weekend, I currently have 43 completed cards with about 20 or so needing made. With the exception of a few repeats, they are each a little different to the rest. I hope that each recipient will enjoy the one that George and I pick out just for him/her. I'm really enjoying making the cards, but I seriously doubt that I'll undertake a project like this in coming years.

This morning, we completed another holiday task: picking out a Christmas tree. It's our first tree at this house, and I think it fits in perfectly, if I do say so myself. George is less than excited by the process of hanging lights, ribbon, and ornaments, so I did it mostly myself. As I hung each ornament, I was taken back to the time and place when it came into my life. Corny, I know. Seriously, though, virtually every ornament has a story because the majority are either gifts from my mom or souvenirs from places I've visited. Now that it's all put together, we get to sit back and enjoy that amazing pine scent. Mmmm...

Speaking of pine, we bought a pine wreath at the tree farm. I'm not big on decorations, much less holiday ones, but I thought that a nice simple wreath might bring some holiday cheer to our pathetic front door. The whole thing was going well until I decided to tie a bow. I'm not sure that the bow is going to stay, but I'm quite pleased with the rest of the wreath.

And with that, I'll return to my jealous outlines.

No comments: