20 November 2010

Baby Shower Bunting

As soon as I ran across this bunting project on a pretty cool life, I knew that I had to make it as the main decoration for a baby shower I was hosting. The shower has come and gone, and I think the bunting was a success.


I created and used a cardboard triangle as my template while cutting two layers of fabric at a time with my handy dandy new rotary cutter.


Then, I ironed the triangles and trimmed the roughest edges.


Next, I sewed two triangles back-to-back on two of the three sides of the triangles.



Finally, I sewed the triangles onto the twine, leaving extra twine on either end of the strand.


The bunting went all the way around the room, pinned to the wall in each corner and in the middle of the long walls. For extra strength, I overlapped the corners of the triangles when sewing them onto the twine. The bunting I made had 175 double-sided triangles; next time, I think I'd make a separate one for each wall or section.


Speaking of next time, the bunting is all packed away for safe storage until its next appearance. I don't think there will be another bunting made for the main room because this was such an undertaking, but I am already thinking about how I may make a more finished bunting as an earthquake-friendly nursery decoration (a long time in the future).


And...here is the mother-to-be, Annette, having her belly measured:

2 comments:

Janie said...

Fabric? Rotary cutter? Hmmm...I see a future "quiltess" in your future....
Mama

Cheryl @ a pretty cool life. said...

Wow that is huge...great job!