16 August 2013

Pinned It & Did It: Large Mounted Picture

I loved these large pictures when I saw the pin, but I wasn't sure how I was going to implement it one day. Here's the inspiration:

Pin. Original Source.

When it came time to plan decorations for the first birthday party, I decided that it was time to pull out this project.

When I went to the craft store to buy the foam board, it was more than I wanted to pay ($15 or so for a foam core poster board). As luck would have it, the same store had small science fair display boards on sale for $2.99. Sold. A little duct tape on the back, and you'd never know that it wasn't a solid board.

Printing was super easy. I just took my thumb drive to this store and had them print an 18x24 engineer print for $1.97. Guess what - that's exactly the size of the board. 

The hardest part of this project, by far, was mounting the picture to the board using spray adhesive without getting bubbles, even with an extra set of hands. In fact, I completely ruined the first print and had to have the picture re-printed. It still wasn't perfect, but it was good enough for the few hours we had it displayed with a little bunting at the party.

I hung it by taping string to the back of the board and using a simple Command hook.


This is a fun, inexpensive way to create over-sized, personalized decorations for a celebration, but I think I'd need a lot more spray adhesive practice before I'd tackle this project for a permanent decoration.

And - finally - that is the last birthday party project that was inspired by Pinterest. So, what's your latest Pinterest-inspired project?

No comments: