11 February 2015

Baby Gear Favorites

As Elliott creeps closer and closer to six months, I find myself putting more and more baby gear away. What better time to share some of our favorite baby items for those of you expecting a little one or looking for the perfect gift for a wee one?

Fisher-Price Rock N Play


I don't know how we lived without this for Madeleine because it allowed us to get some sleep when Elliott was a restless newborn who didn't love sleeping in his big, flat crib. I think this is an absolute must-have for second (and third, fourth, etc.) kids because it provides a safe place for baby out of the reach of well intentioned siblings. I caught Madeleine climbing up both the short and long sides, and she never managed to tip out Elliott!

Keekaroo Peanut Changing Pad


I bought this on the recommendation of a friend when I was putting together Elliott's nursery, and I am so very glad that I did! Not only did I not have to make changing pad covers, I also don't have to change changing pad covers when they get soiled. Even the most neon yellow baby poo hasn't managed to stain this baby. There are only two down sides: Elliott isn't always thrilled to be laid on a chilly pad (that may have more to do with a diaper change standing between him and a feeding) and the price - ouch.

Love to Dream Swaddle Up 50/50


I've previously mentioned how much I love the Swaddle Up, and I think the 50/50 is the best possible version of this because it allows for swaddle weaning and a long life as a sleepsack once swaddling days are over.

Diaper Dekor


We decided to get a diaper pail rather than use a trashcan this time around. Even though we cloth diaper, having the pail for overnight disposables, wipes, and (soon) diaper liners really cuts down on nursery odors. This particular pail will be repurposed for ordinary trash in another room once we're past diapers. Anyone using more than the occasional disposable will be happier with a higher capacity one than the classic, but this one gets us through 5 to 7 days between changes.

aiden + anais Hooded Towel


This towel has made it through two kids and is the only baby towel that has made it to six months with Elliott. This gem really does the trick with soaking up the water and wrapping all the way around a growing baby.

NoseFrida


This is one of those things you're glad to have when the baby gets congested at 3am. I've also learned that the real trick of the NoseFrida is also having saline drops to put in the nose to loosen things for (much) more effective snotsucking, so buy them together. Isn't parenting glamorous?!

Chicco Keyfit 30


Admittedly, I don't have experience with any other infant seat, but this carseat has done the job with both of our kiddos. Madeleine used this until about a year old, but I'm expecting Elliott to max out with his height around six to seven months. This seat is highly safety rated and incredibly easy to use. Given that 90% of car seats are installed improperly, having a seat that's easy to use means a lot for making it truly safe for precious cargo. In case you're wondering, the Diono Radian RXT is our favorite convertible seat.

Dr. Brown's Bottles


I expected to have to try several different types of bottles, but both of our kids were offered these ones and took them without a problem. This system is supposed to simulate the effort required with breastfeeding. I don't love having the extra pieces to wash, but I can't complain about totally drama-free bottle feeding intermixed with nursing.

Sophie


Sophie was popular the first time around and is even more popular with Mister E. There's something about this toy that makes it easy for little hands to grip and satisfying for them to chew. I also happen to love that it washes easily. And, yes, it does have over 3,000 5-star reviews on Amazon.

What would you add to my list?

2 comments:

Kendra G. said...

Great list! The Rock N Play and the snot sucker are both seriously amazing. I think we could have probably used a diaper pale too this time around, but I honestly didn't even think about it!

Janie said...

What a help for mom's to be. Always nice when someone else works out the bugs.