06 September 2008

2L: Prepare to be worked to death

I'm finding the start of my second year challenging. Supposedly, 1L is the hardest part of law school; however, after experiencing 2L for just two weeks, I have to say that it's a strong contender.

Admittedly, much of the stress I'm feeling is the product of my decisions. My load consists of the maximum allowable credits (3 4-credit classes, a 1-credit clinic, and 3-credit legal writing II). I'm also applying to (and hopefully interviewing at) a few local firms that are hiring clerks for next summer. Adding insult to injury, class periods have changed from 50 minutes to 110 minutes...so my attention span is really being tested.

On the bright side, I can feel myself slowly adjusting. My legal writing II course (reputed to be very difficult and demanding) is off to a good start with glowing reviews during my practice oral argument. Since I have managed to schedule Mondays without class, I know it's possible to tackle what I've undertaken if I manage my time wisely. With any luck, I might even be able to carve out a life outside of school. :-)

Speaking of life outside of school, George's mum, Pat, arrived from New Zealand last Friday. She's been on the Olympic Peninsula at an elderhostel for the last week, but, after she returns, I hope to get away from my school work and enjoy as much as possible of her last two weeks here.

No comments: