23 June 2009

Labor of Love

Every wedding (at least every wedding that includes DIY elements) has a labor of love - you know, that project that seems so simple but ends up taking a ton of time or just generally being difficult and will be worth it as long as it's appreciated. Meet our programs:

The design process evolved over months until I had just the right wording, font, layout, size, etc. When I finally decided to take the plunge and print to cardstock, everything started out really smoothly. There were no major printing issues. In fact, I started printing after dinner one night (7:30pm) and had all of the pages printed and cut into their respective pieces before going to bed that night. Heck, I thought, if it's this easy, I should be able to assemble them in the morning before I stop for lunch. Wrong.

In the process of assembling these babies, I've killed two (two!) hole punches and spent way too much quality vision trying to get all of my holes aligned and trying to weave the ribbon when the holes weren't perfect (most of the time).

That was early last week. Tonight, I won. I mean, I finished the programs. Now that they're all resting in their home-for-a-few-more-weeks, I feel significantly better about this whole wedding planning thing.

In case you're curious, here are the final statistics relating to the programs:

50 programs
7 layers of paper per program (x 50 programs = 350 layers of paper)
3 holes per program (x punched in 3 sets x 50 programs = 450 holes punched)
1 ribbon per program (x 50 programs = 50 ribbons...each double weaved and trimmed)
25 pieces of paper x 2 cuts per page x 7 layers of paper = 350 cuts to get paper the right size
1 large hole punch per program
1 sticker per program

At least one guest who really appreciates them = it's all worth it.

No comments: