18 September 2012

Grey & Mint Striped Quilt




This post is equal parts quilting craftiness and the joy of gift giving. While I love to pick out just the right gift to celebrate important moments in the lives of the people I love, I get even more satisfaction out of the process when I get to create that gift.

Way back in April, our dear friends, Aaron and Misha, bought their first house. It took a while for me to decide what I wanted to get them to celebrate. When they painted their living room, I decided that the first project I'd tackle after Madeleine's birth would be a quilt for them.

I got some inspiration online and took to the graph paper to work out the design. One of Madeleine's first outings (if I remember correctly, her very first one with just me) was to our local quilt store for some of the fabric. For the color scheme, I drew on Misha's mint inspiration, Misha and Aaron's love of grey (me too!), and the beautiful yet subtle contrast between beige and stark white. Although the quilt is rather simple, its creation was a bit drawn out as I worked on it during Madeleine's naps and occasionally on the weekend. Yesterday, I finally completed it and gave it to its new owners.

Here's the front:





And the back:




All rolled up:



Here's hoping that this quilt will see Aaron and Misha through many happy memories and keep them warm for years to come. What blanket do you use to curl up on a chilly day?

1 comment:

aaron and misha said...

I still can't get over how absolutely gorgeous this quilt is! Thank you, thank you so much! I can't wait for the temperature to drop a bit so I can curl up on the couch with our lovely new quilt. You are a quilting rock star!