29 October 2012

Bay Area Friends & Adventures

While we were in the Bay Area, we got to visit with several of our friends. George was able to join in the fun over the weekend, but Madeleine and I were on our own while George worked during the week.

We were able to catch up with John and Sally and meet Tom and Will, who are about 7 weeks younger than Madeleine (though Will is already bigger than our wee one). [Remember when we were both pregnant?] I loved every second of our visit, even if it made me wish all the more that we lived closer to one another. And, yes, we are already discussing how these three need to get SCUBA certified as soon as they're old enough.

Will, Tom, Madeleine

Will

Tom

Tom loved the front pack.

Silly Will.

Sally and I got adventurous and packed all three babies into the back of our rental Camry for a lunch out. They all slept through lunch. What good babies! [Tom, Will, Madeleine]

And Madeleine kept sleeping even after we got back.

Madeleine and I also spent a day venturing into San Francisco to visit with my friend, Dagny, who I met studying abroad nearly 10 years ago, and her son, Sam, who is just a week and a half younger than Madeleine. This was Madeleine's first time to be in a city (other than sleeping when George and I had sushi in downtown Seattle), and the initial look on her face was priceless! We had a nice chat and lunch with Dagny and Sam but, unfortunately, didn't take any pictures.

While we were in the City, I wanted to check out a museum. I decided on the de Young mostly because I knew there would be parking (due to its location in Golden Gate Park) and also because I'm a sucker for aerial views of cities. This was Miss M's first museum, and she loved to hear her voice echo through the galleries. For that reason, we didn't stay too long.

Can you spot the TransAmerica Pyramid?

See the Golden Gate Bridge poking out at the right side of the picture?

Riding down from the observation tower

We left the museum so that I could nurse Madeleine before heading south to meet George after work. As we sat in a sunny spot in the park outside the de Young, I reflected on how some parts of life change a lot with having a baby while others aren't so different. Needing to leave a museum for a fussy baby is definitely a new experience, but sitting and reflecting in a sunny spot in a random park in San Francisco is one of my favorite things to do. Just so happens that now I have a little person to introduce to this favorite activity.

The day before we left, Madeleine and I met up with Tracy for a stroll through a shopping center and a snack. Again, it was so nice to catch up with Tracy even though it made me miss the days when we lived in the same city or even cities that were a weekend's drive away.

Tracy & Madeleine

The trip was probably more fun for me than for George given that he had to work during the week. Hopefully, though, Madeleine and I will be able to tag along on some future business trips.

No comments: