15 November 2013

Pinned It & Did It: Felt flowers

When you see flowers like this, don't they look complicated?

Pin. Original Source.

I'll let you in on a little secret: they're incredibly simple to make. Remember when I made the burlap wreath for the front door and mentioned that I would keep it up to get us through November? Well these little flowers were exactly what I had in mind.

I took photos of the process...and then discovered that my camera lacked a memory card. Doh! Let me briefly walk you through the process.

First, cut out a circle from a sheet of felt. You can trace something or just make it up. The more imperfections, the more character. Then, start anywhere along the edge and cut a spiral all the way to the middle, creating a 3/4-inch curled strip. Then, starting with the place where you started cutting, fold the felt in, rolling the felt into a flower. Add hot glue every so often. When you get to the end, glue it to the back. Ta-da! (The original inspiration source as photos of the steps and a little more detail.)

For the wreath, I ended up gluing my grouping onto a piece of felt and then gluing that onto the burlap. I would have liked to add more, but a certain little lady woke up from her nap, so I decided to call it good.



I'm still astounded at how simple it was to create these little guys, and now I'm looking for excuses to embellish with them. Watch out, world!

1 comment:

Janie said...

These are really cute and I might just make some. I also have made some really unique ones out of old sweater scraps. I will be a couple when I come for you to see.