11 May 2015

Running Reflections

For the past three months, I've been running. I haven't kept it a secret, but I also haven't wanted to talk much about it on here for fear of jinxing myself. When I last tried to take up the sport, when Madeleine was about nine months old, I came down with appendicitis, derailing me in a big way. This time around, I haven't taken anything for granted. I'm fiercely protective of my running time and try my best to really want to do it every time I step out the door.


I spent my Mother's Day morning running the 5K that I was supposed to run two years ago. I finished just a few seconds after my goal time and beat my goal pace by 10 seconds per mile. It wasn't easy or pretty, but I am really proud of it. In fact, I shed a few tears as I finished. Between having anticipated running this race years ago and having spent a significant amount of time training over the past few months, my step across that finish line was a long time coming and meant a lot.




An hour or so later, Miss Madeleine ran her first race ever. It was about 200 yards around some tennis courts, but she will tell you that she ran a half marathon. I have to give her credit: a lot of kids either dropped out or ended up being carried while she ran the entire thing.

It's not totally accidental that Madeleine knows about half marathons. I'm currently training for the big event, just about a month away. So this little adventure continues.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Congratulations, and good luck! I still think fondly of our runs at B-W, through that park which I can't even remember the name...And of course the turkey trot! It is so much harder these days to get runs in, but I do it when I can as well. Maybe some day we can run together again :)

Megan said...

So I was trying to figure out the name of the park- Rocky River Reservation? Apparently there's a downhill half marathon through there in September...

Janie said...

What a memory filled post. Congratulations on a terrific accomplishment. Simply wonderful pictures! I am oh-so proud.

ALKS said...

Megan: Coe Lake? The other one was, I think, part of the MetroPark system around Baldwin and Wallace Lakes. Do either of those sound familiar? And, yes, it would be awesome to run together again!